You will be required to comply with this standard if you operate a trading vessel, a passenger vessel or one of the following vessels:
- power driven vessels up to and including 4.8 metres in length
- off-the-beach sailing yachts
- personal water-craft
- canoes, kayaks and rowing boats
- pedal boats and fun boats
- kite boards and sail boards
- recreational tenders.
This standard sets out general and specific requirements for the following types of buoyancy aids:
- coastal life-jackets for use in coastal waters
- life-jackets for use in sheltered waters
- buoyancy vests, buoyancy aid wet suits and buoyancy garments
- rescue buoys, float-off buoyancy aids and specialist life-jackets.
This standard also covers a number of other criteria for buoyancy aids. These include the selection and care of the various buoyancy aids, the requirements for safety harnesses and lines, and general design and constructional requirements.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.