** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Notification of Excavation Work - Victoria


You will need to notify the responsible agency in writing at least three days before undertaking construction excavation work on a shaft, trench or tunnel. This applies to any construction excavation work that:

  • is of sufficient depth or dimensions for a person to enter
  • the work involves a risk to the health or safety of any person.

This notification does not apply to excavation of a shaft or trench made as part of building work which is authorised by a valid building permit. It also does not apply to a mine, bore, quarry or burials.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

The notification must include the following information:

  • your name or the name of your business
  • the name and contact details of the person who will supervise the construction excavation work
  • the date of notification
  • a description of the proposed construction excavation and whether explosives will be used in carrying out the excavation
  • dates when the work will start and finish
  • the location of the proposed construction excavation work.

One notification can cover a number of excavations that are part of a single project even if they will be made in a number of places and at different times.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

No fees are required.

Act(s) name

Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017 Victoria

Lodgement process


This form should be filled out and forwarded to WorkSafe by the employer or self-employed person carrying out the excavation work. This form must be submitted to the Agency at least 3 days prior to commencing excavations. This form can be lodged at or faxed to your local WorkSafe Office.

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance

WorkSafe Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.