Permit to Keep Animals - Victoria


You will require this permit if you intend to keep more than 2 cats or dogs, 10 pigeons, poultry or domestic mice, 2 guinea pigs or domestic rabbits, or 6 rodents or reptiles on less than 2 hectares of land.

You will also require this permit if your property is in a residential area and you intend to keep large birds (such as emus, ostriches and turkeys), horses or donkeys, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, roosters, camels or other agricultural animals.

If you live in a farming area (or intend to house these animals in a farming area) and wish to keep more than 4 cats or dogs you will also require this permit.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the responsible council for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the permit.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $75.00

Fees for 2017-18.

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1989 VIC

Local law(s) name

General Local Law 2012

Administering agency

Northern Grampians Shire Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Local Laws Officer

Northern Grampians Shire Council

Operating address: Town Hall Complex
59 - 69 Main Street
Stawell, Victoria 3380
Mailing address: PO BOX 580
Stawell, Victoria 3380
Phone: 03 5358 8700
Website: Northern Grampians Shire Council (Opens in new window)