Permit to Keep General Livestock - West Wimmera Shire Council - Victoria


You will require this permit if you intend to keep general livestock in an area of 0.4 of a hectare or less.

For the purposes of this permit general livestock includes, but is not limited to, animals such as horses, cattle, sheep, goats, rabbits and ducks. Pigs are not permitted in residential areas, even if a permit has been obtained.

During the fire season, you may keep up to four sheep on your property without a permit.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the responsible council for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


12 months or as indicated on the permit


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible council for specific information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Permit to Keep General Livestock - Please contact the responsible council for application forms and registration details.

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 2020 Victoria

Local law(s) name

Community Local Law 6 2012

Lodgement process


You must lodge your application in the approved form, accompanied by the required application fee.

Administering agency

West Wimmera Shire Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Local Laws Officer

West Wimmera Shire Council

Operating address: 49 Elizabeth Street
Edenhope, Victoria 3318
Mailing address: PO BOX 201
Edenhope, Victoria 3318
Phone: 03 5585 9900
Fax: 03 5585 9950
Website: West Wimmera Shire Council (Opens in new window)