You need to comply with the following requirements, as set out in the Community Amenity Policy and Guidelines:
- An incinerator must be made from non combustible materials and designed to be used as an incinerator; and
- An incinerator that is installed must be designed so that at all times any burning materials including sparks, embers and ash cannot escape.
Even if a permit to burn has been granted, the following materials must not be burnt in an incinerator or outdoors:
- Any rubber or plastic substance;
- Any petroleum, oil or waste material containing petroleum or oil;
- Paint or container that contains or has contained paint;
- Any manufactured chemical;
- Any food waste; or
- Any material that is not likely to readily burn or which is likely to create offensive smoke or odour.
A separate permit from State fire authorities may be required during high fire seasons.