Permit to Perform Works Near Infrastructure Assets or Easements - Gippsland Water - Victoria


You will require this licence if you intend to perform works on or near one of the Agencies water assets or easements. This licence is required for works within, over or within one metre of a water asset or easement.

An easement is a section of land registered on your property which contains a water main or sewerage pipe running through it that may be used by the Agency. Easements need to remain free from obstruction, to allow access for infrastructure service providers.
Works on areas with live infrastructure assets that may require approval include:

  • lifting or entering manhole covers
  • sewer repair
  • connecting to an existing water main
  • asbestos removal
  • undertaking work on live assets
  • working in close proximity to major infrastructure.

Works on areas covered by easements that may require approval include activities such as:

  • building or demolition
  • drainage, pipeline and ancillary works
  • excavation or removal of any matter from or deposit any matter on the land
  • construction or maintenance or removal of roads, tracks or fences on the land.

Please note that only accredited contractor or consultants may perform works. You must receive this approval prior to building over the easement.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.

Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 Victoria

Administering agency

Gippsland Water

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Gippsland Water

Operating address: 55 Hazelwood Road
Traralgon, Victoria 3844
Phone: 1800 050 500
Other: 03 5174 0103
Website: Gippsland Water (Opens in new window)