Pilot (Chemical Rating) Licence - Victoria


You will require this licence if you are a pilot intending to apply or spray agricultural chemicals from the air. This licence is also required to apply pest animal baits via aircraft. This licence typically covers aerial spraying of farm chemicals over or around forestry or crops or surrounding lands.

This licence applies if you are an employee of an Agricultural Aircraft Operator Licence holder or intend to hold that licence yourself. Interstate Pilot (Chemical Rating) Licences are recognised in Victoria.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • hold a current Commercial Pilot (Aeroplane or Helicopter) Licence or an Air Transport Pilot (Aeroplane or Helicopter) Licence endorsed with an Agricultural Pilot (Aeroplane or helicopter) Rating Grade 1 or 2
  • have either Operation Spray Safe Accreditation or have passed the appropriate examination
  • provide information on any previous convictions under any of the relevant Acts mentioned on the application form
  • make an application on the approved form along with any required documentation
  • pay any required fees.

Note: this licence will only be issued if you are an employee of an Agricultural Aircraft Operator Licence holder or hold this licence yourself.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You will be required to keep specified records of all chemical applications, to keep these records for a minimum of two years, and to provide specified notifications to landowners. Location-based and other restrictions may apply.


Three years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $357.75

Pilot (Chemical Rating) Licence Application Fees for 2023-24

Act(s) name

Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act 1992 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Regulations 2017 Victoria

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action

Agriculture Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.