Plumbing Licence and Registration - Victoria


You will need to be licensed or registered if you intend to undertake plumbing work. Plumbing work may only be carried out by plumbers that are licensed or registered to carry out that type of plumbing work. Plumbing work is split into the categories of main plumbing classes, restricted plumbing classes and specialised plumbing classes.

Main plumbing classes:

  • drainage
  • fire protection
  • gasfitting
  • irrigation (non-agricultural)
  • mechanical services
  • refrigerated air-conditioning
  • roofing (stormwater)
  • sanitary
  • Type B gasfitting
  • water supply.

Restricted plumbing classes:

  • mechanical services (single head split systems)
  • mechanical services (duct fixing)
  • roofing (stormwater) (class 10a buildings)

Specialised plumbing classes:

  • Type A gas appliance conversion
  • Type A gas appliance servicing
  • Type B gasfitting advanced
  • backflow prevention
  • thermostatic mixing valve.

A licensed plumber can operate in a specified class or classes of plumbing work, may issue compliance certificates and supervise other plumbers. Generally, a licensed plumber has attained a higher level of qualifications and experience or knowledge and competence.

A registered plumber can operate in a specified class or classes of plumbing work but cannot issue compliance certificates or supervise other plumbers.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for the licence or registration, you must:

  • have the relevant qualifications and experience, knowledge and / or competency
  • satisfy the Agency of specified circumstances
  • include proof of insurance cover (certificate of currency)
  • satisfy a police check.

If you are licensed or registered in another State or Territory, and intend to conduct the work in Victoria, you must apply for recognition in Victoria.


Registration - three years. Licence - one year.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees are listed on the attached document.


Act(s) name

Building Act 1993 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Plumbing Regulations 2018 Victoria

Lodgement process


Please lodge your application and all accompanying documentation directly with the Agency.

Administering agency

Victorian Building Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.