You will require this licence or registration if you intend to undertake plumbing work.
Plumbing work may only be carried out by plumbers that are licensed or registered to carry out that type of plumbing work. In addition, a person must not use the title of plumber or plumbing practitioner unless licensed or registered.
Plumbing work is split into the categories of main plumbing classes, restricted plumbing classes and specialised plumbing classes. There are eight main classes of plumbing work:
- mechanical services
- roofing (stormwater)
- water supply
- irrigation (non-agricultural)
- fire protection.
Restricted plumbing classes:
- gas fitting: Type A appliances
- roofing (stormwater): Class 10a buildings
- water supply: Domestic hot water services
- fire protection: Hydrants or hose reels, residential / commercial / industrial or domestic fire sprinklers, fire system pump sets
- mechanical services: Refrigerated air-conditioning, solid fuel heaters, duct fixing, split systems.
Specialised plumbing classes:
- backflow prevention
- Type A gas appliance conversion
- Type A gas appliance servicing
- Type B gasfitting advanced
- refrigerated air-conditioning.
There are two types of plumbers - licensed and registered. Both types must be licensed and / or endorsed by the Agency to operate in any of the specified category of plumbing work.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.