You will need this registration if you intend to provide professional engineering services.
From 1 July 2021, registration will be mandatory for professional engineers who intend to practise in the building industry. You will not be required to be registered if you work under the direct supervision of a registered practising professional engineer or only in accordance with a prescriptive standard.
The five areas of engineering that will require registration in the future and the dates registration becomes mandatory are:
- fire safety engineering: 1 December 2021
- civil engineering: 1 October 2022
- structural engineering: 1 October 2022
- electrical engineering: 1 June 2023
- mechanical engineering: 1 December 2023.