Protected Aquatic Biota Permits - Victoria


You will require this permit if you intend to do the following actions with Protected Aquatic Biota (PAB):

  • take
  • sell
  • injure, damage or destroy
  • possess, keep, display for reward
  • release into Victorian waters.

For the purposes of this permit, PAB means any taxon or community of aquatic flora or fauna declared to be protected under the Act.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be considered for this permit you must make an application to the Secretary of the Agency, who must be satisfied that you meet the following specified eligibility criteria:

  • be carrying out an activity on behalf of an institution (tertiary education, scientific, research) or public museum and the work is directly related to the work of that institution or museum
  • be a tertiary education student and the activity is directly related to research being carried out
  • be authorised to conduct an aquaculture activity that relates to the protected aquatic biota and the permit will facilitate that activity
  • be responsible for the preparation of an environment effects statement or a supplementary statement and the activity is necessary for or related to the preparation of that statement
  • be authorised under coastal legislation to carry out a dredging operation that may affect the protected aquatic biota.

Permits can only be issued in accordance with the PAB Policy Statement. People wishing to apply for a PAB permit are advised to review the policy statement before submitting an application.


Up to three years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All PAB Permit Policy Statement (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Fisheries Act 1995 Victoria

Lodgement process


Please lodge your application form and any other associated documents directly with the Agency.

Additional information

This permit is typically required for an institution or public museum, a tertiary research student, an aquaculture business or dredging operation.

Administering agency

Victorian Fisheries Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.