Pyrotechnicians Licence - Victoria


You will need this licence to use fireworks as a pyrotechnician. There are several classes of licence available, including:

  • ground display
  • Chinese fireworks
  • theatrical fireworks
  • aerial shells
  • aerial salutes

This licence also allows you to temporarily store and transport limited amounts of fireworks.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • submit an application form
  • attend an approved training course
  • have adequate knowledge of regulations that apply to the use of fireworks
  • have adequate knowledge and competency in the safe use of fireworks
  • pass an approved test / complete an approved training course
  • pass an examination required by the Agency
  • demonstrate suitable practical experience
  • be considered a suitable person to hold the licence
  • provide proof of Identification
  • pay any required fees.

Note that eligibility requirements vary according to the type of fireworks that you are intending to discharge.


Up to five years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Licence All $65.00

Fees for 2023-24

Apply Licence All $130.10

Interstate fee. Fees for 2023-24

Comply Miscellaneous All $41.60

National police check. Fees for 2023-24

Comply Miscellaneous All $20.60

ASIO security assessment. Fees for 2023-24

Vary Variation All $65.00

If an assessment of experience is conducted by WorkSafe. Fees for 2023-24

Vary Variation All $22.75

Fees for 2023-24


Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Act 1985 Victoria

Application process


Your completed application must be supported by two recent passport sized photographs of yourself and completed identification form. Please view the application form for more information.

Approval time

30 days

Additional information

There is a change to the requirement to notify of intended fireworks display. The seven-day notification requirement has been extended to indoor / theatrical displays. The requirement continues to be to notify WorkSafe, the relevant fire authority, and local council. However, please check with your council about any additional requirements about the notification period

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance

WorkSafe Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.