You will require this approval if you are a wagering service provider and you intend to publish details of a race field, or use a race field in the course of your business.
This applies to greyhound, harness and thoroughbred race fields. The race field is the names or numbers of horses or greyhounds taking part in a race. The restriction on publishing details of a race field extends to any information capable of identifying the names and numbers of horses or greyhounds nominated to race, or that have been scratched or withdrawn from a race.
A wagering service provider means:
- a totalisator (tote) operator
- a betting exchange operator
- bookmakers or Turf commission agents
- any other people or companies who make a livelihood by betting or making wagers.
Approval must be obtained from the relevant national racing body responsible for organising the race:
- The Australian Racing Board Limited (horse racing)
- Harness Racing Australia Inc (harness racing)
- Greyhound Racing Victoria (greyhound racing).
The restriction on publishing racing fields does not apply to people or companies approved by the agency to publish betting odds.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.