Registration of a Caravan Park - Mornington Peninsula Shire Council - Victoria


You will need this registration if you intend to operate a caravan park or mobile home park, either on private or municipal land.

For the purposes of this registration, a caravan park is an area of land on which movable dwellings are situated for occupation on a short or long-term basis, and where communal bathroom and public areas are provided for residents.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To legally operate an existing caravan park, the registrations of the premises must be transferred from the name of the existing licensee to the name of the proposed purchaser.

Before you purchase a caravan park you should:

  • Check with Council's Environmental Health Officer to determine if the business has current registration with Council;
  • Request a transfer inspection of the property to ensure the premises complies with the requirements of the Acts. This request should be in writing from your solicitor;
  • Check that the Park Emergency Management Plan is complete and up to date.

Once the business has been purchased, applicants must apply to the Shire to transfer the registration for the caravan park.

Alternatively, the Council's website has guidelines to help you set up a new caravan park.

For more information specific to the design and construction of caravan parks and movable dwellings please contact the Shire's Statutory Building Team.


Not less than two years and not more than three years


31 December


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees may vary. Please contact the responsible council for more information.


Act(s) name

Residential Tenancies Act 1997 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Residential Tenancies (Caravan Parks and Movable Dwellings Registration and Standards) Regulations 2020 Victoria


A notice of transfer of ownership must be lodged with the council.

Administering agency

Mornington Peninsula Shire Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.