Registration of a Private Drinking Water Carter - Mitchell Shire Council - Victoria


You will need this registration if you intend to deliver water for human consumption. Your business and the vehicle you use to transport the water both need to be registered with your local council.

Note that water for human consumption includes water used to make food or ice, or to keep unpackaged food cold.

You will only need to register with the council in which your vehicle is kept, regardless of where you deliver the water. If you operate more than one vehicle, you will need to register with the council where the majority of your vehicles are kept.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You will need to:

  • submit a Statement of Trade 5 days before you operate in any council area
  • submit a Statement of Trade once per year to each council you continue to operate in
  • keep records about which water corporations you purchase your drinking water from.


12 months


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the responsible council for application forms and registration details.


Act(s) name

Food Act 1984 Victoria

Application process


This is a single council registration. Regardless of how many council districts you operate in, you only need to register in your principal council.

Lodgement process


You can lodge your registration application through Streatrader.

Additional information

You are responsible for ensuring that water sold for human consumption is safe to drink or use in food preparation. You can do this by ensuring that:

  • water is sourced from a potable source
  • only registered water transport vehicles are used
  • water transport vehicles are able to be cleaned and sanitised appropriately.

Administering agency

Mitchell Shire Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Local Laws Officer

Mitchell Shire Council

Operating address: 113 High Street
Broadford, Victoria 3658
Phone: 03 5734 6200
Fax: 03 5734 6222
Website: Mitchell Shire Council (Opens in new window)