Scientific Research Permit - Wildlife - Victoria


You will require this licence if you intend to capture, collect or interfere with any wildlife for the purposes of scientific research. This includes fauna surveys, live-capture and release, bird or bat banding, marking, radio tracking, taking of tissue samples, retaining wildlife for education, collection of dead specimens (bones, skin, feathers, teeth, etc), or any other handling of wildlife.

Authorisation is also required to conduct scientific research in areas managed under the provisions of national park legislation.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit, you must:

  • have a genuine scientific research project
  • obtain Animal Ethics Committee approval (if required)
  • have relevant qualifications or experience in the procedures proposed.

In addition to this permit, a forests research permit may be required for any research in State Forests.

Authorisation and project approval must be obtained from the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Schemes (ABBBS) prior to an application for a Scientific Permit involving the banding of birds and/or bats.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

If your research involves animals, you must comply with the Code of Practice for the Welfare of Wildlife During Rehabilitation.


Usually up to 12 months.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

No fees are required.

Act(s) name

Wildlife Act 1975 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Regulations 2013 Victoria

Application process


Please attach the following information with your application.

General Permits:

  • A full description of the project including methods, localities, and species;
  • A copy of the detailed project proposal as submitted to the AEC (if appropriate);
  • A copy of the signed AEC approval;
  • Evidence of relevant experience for each researcher; and
  • Evidence of ABBBS approval if bird or bat banding is involved.

School Permits:

  • A full description of the project, including methods, localities, species and justification for the project.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Plants and Animals

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Customer Service Officer

Plants and Animals

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Phone: 13 61 86