You will require this licence if you intend to run a business that processes seafood for human consumption. There are two categories of licences:
- seafood processor
- seafood further processor.
Both licences authorise a business to sell seafood it has processed by wholesale or retail. A seafood processor is authorised to undertake the following processing activities:
- chill or freeze
A seafood further processor is authorised to undertake the following processing activities:
- adding processing ingredients.
Separate licensing requirements are in place for fishing, harvesting and handling of seafood, and for general food business retailers who may sell cooked fish (e.g. takeaway shops, cafes, etc).
If you conduct, or intend to conduct, a seafood business in relation to the sale of live yabbies, you may apply for an exemption from licensing. To apply for this exemption, you must:
- sell live yabbies from the location of your business or place of production
- not use a vehicle in the sale of live yabbies
- hold the appropriate fisheries permit.