You are required to be registered as a teacher if you intend to teach in Victoria.
All school teachers and principals (who have previously been employed as a teacher) working in government and independent schools are required to be registered.
There is 5 registration types:
- Full teacher registration is for those who undertake duties which include the delivery of an educational programme and who meet all qualification requirements.
- Provisional teacher registration is for those who undertake duties of a fully registered teacher, yet do not meet the standard required of professional teachers.
- Full early childhood teacher registration is for people who undertake duties as a pre-school or kindergarten teacher and who meet all the qualification requirements.
- Provisional early childhood teacher registration is for people who undertake all duties of a fully registered early childhood teacher, yet do not meet the standard required of professional teachers.
- Permission to teach is for people who do not meet the requirements of teacher registration but possess the appropriate skills and experience to teach. This permission is for those who are committed to becoming a member of the teaching profession and have made progress toward becoming a registered teacher.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.