Tour Operator Licence - Victoria


You will require this licence if you intend to offer commercial tours or recreational activities on public land. Public land includes national parks and state forests, as well as marine areas, wildlife areas, crown lands and any other land managed by a government agency.

It is illegal to conduct an organised tour or recreational activity for profit on public land without holding a tour operator licence. This applies to all tour operators and activity providers, whether they be one person operations or large companies.

Examples of recreation activities include:

  • bush-walking
  • trail bike touring
  • horse riding
  • canoeing
  • rock climbing
  • river rafting
  • abseiling.

Please note that in some instances, non-profit organisations may be required to possess a Tour Operator Licence.

A permit may also be required to camp or occupy a building or other facility in a national park.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • have adequate public liability insurance with an insurer approved by the agency (at least $10 million)
  • ensure your tour guides have a current first aid qualification (the minimum standard requirement is St Johns Level 2 Basic First Aid or equivalent)
  • ensure procedures are in place to minimise the risk of potential hazards to clients
  • include the following with your application: completed application form, current public liability insurance, and payment issued on the basis that the licence holder maintains an appropriate public liability insurance policy with an insurer approved by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA).

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You will be required to comply with all relevant legislation, standards and Codes of Practice, including relevant Adventure Activity Standards.

You will also need to ensure that you comply with the requirement to possess any other relevant permits or authorities - these will depend on the particular activity you intend to undertake.


A period not exceeding 10 years


30 June


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Licence All $312.32

One year. Fees for 2021-22

Apply Licence All $245.00 Standard licence greater than one year. Fees for 2021-22

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Public Liability Insurance Checklist - Certificate of Currency - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Act(s) name

Crown Land (Reserves) Act 1978 Victoria

Forests Act 1958 Victoria

Land Act 1958 Victoria

National Parks Act 1975 Victoria

Wildlife Act 1975 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

National Parks (Tour Operator Licence Fee) Regulations 2011 Victoria

Application process


You will need to lodge your application and fee directly with the Agency. Before submitting your form you should discuss your application with the Contact Officer. You will need to attach to your application:

  • maps detailing your tour route (if necessary)
  • a certificate of currency for your insurance policy
  • any other relevant documents as requested by the Agency.

Approval time

Five weeks

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Parks Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Information Centre

Parks Victoria

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Website: Parks Victoria (Opens in new window)