Unregistered Vehicle Permit - Victoria


You will require this permit if you intend to use an unregistered vehicle on a public road. An unregistered vehicle permit (UVP) may be issued in any circumstances where it is impractical or unreasonable to have the vehicle registered during the period of the permit.

A UVP is required for unregistered vehicles used in organised carnivals or processions on public roads, including carnival floats.

A UVP may also be issued to authorise the use of a vehicle during approved rallies conducted by an approved national motorsport organisation (The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport). This special category of UVP is also known as a rally permit. Permit holders are issued with distinct four digit number plates.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

If you are applying for a permit for a vehicle used in a carnival or procession you must ensure that the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition in respect of the:

  • brake system
  • driver access and ventilation
  • exhaust system
  • steering
  • stop lamps
  • turn signal lamps
  • visibility of the driver
  • warning devices.

An over-dimensional permit will also be required if standard vehicle dimensions are exceeded.

To be eligible for a UVP that is a rally permit you must:

  • be a member of a car club affiliated with the Confederation of Australian Motorsport (CAMS)
  • hold a National Rally licence or an international rally licence
  • obtain a current Victorian Certificate of Roadworthiness or Scrutineers Form from CAMS.

Other applicants will need to provide details of the reason for the permit, the desired start date and time and the number of days required (along with any other information required by the Agency).

Ongoing eligibility requirements

If you wish to drive an unregistered vehicle interstate, then this must be a condition specified on the permit. However, if you are driving from interstate into Victoria, you do not need a permit from VicRoads.


Twenty-eight days. If more time is needed, you will need to apply for another UVP.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees may vary. Please contact the responsible council / agency for more information.


Act(s) name

Road Safety Act 1986 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2021 Victoria

Lodgement process


You will need to provide the following details:

Personal details:

  • Full name and address;
  • Vehicle's garaged address;
  • Telephone number; and
  • Fax number or email address (if applying for permit over the phone).

Permit details:

  • Reason for the permit;
  • Desired start date and time; and
  • Number of days required.

Vehicle details:

  • Make;
  • Model;
  • Body type;
  • Colour;
  • Year of manufacture; and
  • Either the engine, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or chassis number.

Additional information

In addition to the above situations, a UVP may cover the following activities:

  • preparing an unregistered vehicle for registration
  • having repairs done
  • obtaining a Certificate of Roadworthiness, Vehicle Identity Validation certificate or Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) Approval Certificate
  • taking the vehicle to VicRoads for registration
  • having a replacement VIN stamped
  • moving a vehicle from place to place on a one-off basis
  • the use of heavy earth moving equipment which cannot meet registration requirements but which need to cross or operate on public roads in the course of construction work.

Administering agency

Department of Transport and Planning


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.