You will need this licence if you intend to use, handle or manipulate radiation sources such as radioactive substances or radiation apparatus. Radiation sources include:
- radioactive material
- ionising and non-ionising radiation apparatus (tanning units exempt)
- sealed source apparatus.
Typical occupations that may require this licence include, but are not limited to:
- general medical practitioners
- medical specialists
- nurses (working in remote areas)
- nuclear medicine physicians
- radiographers (medical / industrial)
- service engineers
- borehole loggers
- tertiary lecturers.
A use licence will have conditions defining the types of radiation sources that are permitted to be used.