Vessel Mooring Authority - Victoria


You will need this authority to keep your vessel moored or berthed in Port Phillip Bay or Western Port Bay. There are three types of authorised mooring:

  • annual moorings
  • destination moorings (you must call the Agency upon arrival at a berth and there is no guarantee of retaining the same berth)
  • seasonal moorings.

In order to moor your vessel in a particular location, you need to obtain an annual mooring authority, which will give you the right to occupy a particular site within the waters of either Port Phillip Bay or Western Port Bay.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

In order to be eligible for this authority, you must:

  • have a boat or ship that is in seaworthy condition
  • complete any application forms
  • pay the required fees
  • be willing to abide by any imposed conditions.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

It is an ongoing requirement of this approval that:

  • you provide relevant records and information as required by the authority
  • your vessel remains sea worthy and clean and that maintenance or works on location do not damage or pollute the site
  • mooring tackle is maintained in good working condition and subjected to regular tackle inspection.


One to ten years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.

Act(s) name

Port Management Act 1995 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Port Management (Local Ports) Regulations 2015 Victoria

Lodgement process


Please lodge your application form, fees, and any associated documents directly with the Agency.

Application process


Your application form must accompanied by the payment of the fee, and for swing / fore and aft moorings (and some berths with ground tackle):

  • a map or other visual description of the location of the mooring
  • a copy of the current mooring inspection report for the mooring or a confirmation form stating that a contractor has been engaged to undertake the inspection must be provided.

A new mooring inspection report must be provided for all new moorings, or for existing moorings where the ownership of the mooring has changed.

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action

Parks Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.