Water Carting Permit - Victoria


You will need this permit to use your local water authority's filling stations and hydrants. It will allow you to access water from filling stations and fire hydrants where access to reticulated water supply is not available.

This permit is normally required for water carters, construction contractors, drain and sewer cleaning companies, councils, and customers requiring water for stock, firefighting or filling water tanks.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Before accessing the Agency's water filling stations or hydrants you will need:

  • a hose with MFB fittings
  • a hose with Cam Lock Fittings
  • CFA > MFB Adaptors
  • a standard hydrant standpipe with MFB fittings
  • a hydrant key.

All water carters have a legal responsibility to ensure that each vehicle used to access water from fire hydrants is fitted with an approved backflow prevention device in accordance with the Australian Standard AS 3500. This may be one of the following:

  • a Registered Air Gap
  • a Reduced Pressure Zone Device (RPZD).


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 Victoria

Water Industry Act 1994 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Water (Trade Waste) Regulations 2014 Victoria

Additional information

Every vehicle operator will need to undergo training in the use of hydrants. However, if you or your workers have completed training with another water authority, and you can provide evidence of this, no additional training is required.

Administering agency

Victorian Water Corporations

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.