Water Share Application or Transfer - Victoria


A water share authorises you to take water from a declared water system, including:

  • a waterway (including the River Murray)
  • an aquifer
  • a spring or soak
  • a dam (except rainwater dams supplied from the roof of a building or from a waterway or bore).

It is illegal to take water from these sources without holding a water share. This does not apply to water taken from a spring, soak or dam for domestic and stock use.

A water share authorises you to take a specified amount of water (a water allocation) at a particular time (a water season). A water allocation is a fixed percentage of water in the dam or other water source in a given year. A water share may be subject to conditions about the times when you may take water, and the places you can take water from.

A water share is considered to be a piece of property that may be resold to another person independent from the land, mortgaged or transferred (leased) for a fixed period of time. However, the Agency's approval is required to transfer ownership or assign a water share.

From time to time water shares may also be made available for purchase from the Agency by application, or by auction or tender. However, to obtain a water share, generally you will have to purchase it from an existing entitlement holder.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

A new application for a water share must specify the proposed associated water system for the share.

Transfer applications must be approved by the responsible water corporation using the approved form. The transfer document must then be lodged with the Water Registrar.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Water Share Application or Transfer - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.
Transfer All Form 1 - Application for Approval to Transfer a Water Share (Opens in new window)
Transfer All Form 10 - Application for a Limited Term Transfer (Opens in new window)
Transfer All Statutory Declaration and Owner's Consent - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Water (Resource Management) Regulations 2017 Victoria

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:



Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Operating address: 8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address: PO BOX 500
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Other: 13 61 86