Water Works Licences - Victoria


You will need one of these licences to construct, alter, operate, remove or decommission any works on a waterway or groundwater bore.

Works include works to deviate a waterway or private dam, and covers all domestic and stock dams that are built on waterways. This approval is not required for farm dams that are not on a waterway.

New or continuing works on a bore that alter or replace a groundwater bore greater than three metres in depth will need a:

  • Works Licence (Bore Construction)
  • Works Licence (Bore Decommission).

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • provide a map of the proposed works
  • provide a construction plan of the proposed works
  • provide an operation and maintenance plan for the proposed works
  • provide any other figures or information required by the Authorities
  • pay the prescribed fees.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

It is an ongoing requirement of this licence that you comply with the following standard conditions:

  • extraction share
  • pumping rate
  • metering
  • sitting and construction
  • operation and maintenance
  • alteration
  • removal and decommissioning
  • preventing pollution
  • using waterways and wetlands to store or convey water.


One to five years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted.


Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 Victoria

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action

Water and Catchments

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.