Wildlife Controller Licence - Victoria


You will require this licence if you intend to take wildlife in circumstances where the wildlife is damaging property or is a danger to people. This licence authorises you to take such wildlife from the wild and destroy, dispose of, or sell the wildlife. It may only authorise you to take the following kinds of wildlife:

  • Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo
  • Long-Billed Corella
  • Galah
  • Common Brushtail Possum
  • Common Wombat
  • All indigenous reptiles.

Employees of the licence holder must have a copy of the licence when they are undertaking any activity that is authorised under this licence.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least eighteen years old (or provide the signed consent of your parent or guardian)
  • if applying on behalf of a corporation, or other business entity, nominate a person who will be responsible for the licence
  • be a person of good character
  • provide details of any findings of guilt for animal cruelty offences or wildlife against you during the last ten years
  • provide any other information required by the Agency
  • submit a completed application form
  • pay the prescribed fees.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

The licence holder may only operate on a property or area of land with the consent of the land owner or occupier and control those animals listed in the licence, using only the equipment specified in the licence, and may not export wildlife taken in conjunction with this licence.

Any bird that is taken must be marked before it is moved from the environment it was taken from.

Throughout the year you must maintain accurate and up to date records to assist in monitoring wildlife possession and trade.


One year


30 June


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $300.60

Fees for 2021-22


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Application for Game Bird Farmer Licence - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.
Vary Sole Trader Commercial Wildlife Licence Application Form (Natural Person) - PDF (Opens in new window)
Vary Company Commercial Wildlife Licence Application Form (Body Corporate) - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Wildlife Act 1975 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Regulations 2013 Victoria

Application process


Please lodge your application form, a copy of your National Police Check and any other associated documents directly with the Agency. Do not attach payment - you will be invoiced for the fee if your application is approved.

Lodgement process


All Commercial Wildlife Licences expire on 30 June each year. Renewal of a Commercial Wildlife Licence is conditional upon submission of a 'Return for Wildlife', which must be received by The Wildlife and Game Licence Service by April 14.

Licence holders who meet this requirement will receive a renewal notice approximately 4-6 weeks before their licence expires on 30 June.

Approval time

Six to eight weeks

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Plants and Animals

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Wildlife and Game Licensing

Plants and Animals

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Operating address: 475 Mickleham Road
Attwood, Victoria 3049
Phone: 13 61 86
Email: wildlifelicensing@delwp.vic.gov.au