You will require this permit if you intend to either import or export wildlife, or wildlife products, to or from Victoria and another State or Territory of Australia. Wildlife includes birds, reptiles, amphibians and mammals that are native to Australia or a particular region within Australia, as well as certain non-indigenous animals such as deer, quail, pheasants and partridges.
A permit is not required for the following types of wildlife and wildlife products:
- king quail, non-indigenous quail, all pheasants, budgerigar, zebra finch, cockatiel, Bourkes parrot
- deer (fallow, chital, hog, rusa, sambar, red and wapiti)
- cast or shed feathers, sloughed skins of reptiles, or cast antlers of deer
- processed shells of eggs of emus
- legally sourced and processed dead game.
This includes parts of the following animals:
- Common Brushtail Possum
- Western Grey Kangaroo
- Eastern Grey Kangaroo\
- Whiptail Wallaby
- Common Wallaroo
- Red-necked Wallaby
- Red Kangaroo
- Rufous-bellied Pademelon
- Freshwater or Saltwater Crocodile
Import and export of the following are prohibited (even with a permit):
- mammals that are not fully weaned
- flightless birds under 4 weeks old, and birds that are too young to fly
- diseased, sick or injured wildlife
Wildlife laws vary between each state and territory, therefore it is strongly recommended that you contact the relevant interstate authority for requirements on keeping of wildlife.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.