Wildlife Import and Export Permit - Victoria


You will need this permit to either import or export wildlife, or wildlife products, to or from Victoria and another State or Territory of Australia. Wildlife includes birds, reptiles, amphibians and mammals that are native to Australia or a particular region within Australia, as well as certain non-indigenous animals such as deer, quail, pheasants and partridges.

A permit is not required for the following types of wildlife and wildlife products:

  • king quail, non-indigenous quail, all pheasants, budgerigar, zebra finch, cockatiel, Bourkes parrot
  • deer (fallow, chital, hog, rusa, sambar, red and wapiti)
  • cast or shed feathers, sloughed skins of reptiles, or cast antlers of deer
  • processed shells of eggs of emus
  • legally sourced and processed dead game.

This includes parts of the following animals:

  • Common Brushtail Possum
  • Western Grey Kangaroo
  • Eastern Grey Kangaroo\
  • Whiptail Wallaby
  • Common Wallaroo
  • Red-necked Wallaby
  • Red Kangaroo
  • Rufous-bellied Pademelon
  • Freshwater or Saltwater Crocodile
  • Emu.

Import and export of the following are prohibited (even with a permit):

  • mammals that are not fully weaned
  • flightless birds under 4 weeks old, and birds that are too young to fly
  • diseased, sick or injured wildlife
  • eggs.

Wildlife laws vary between each state and territory, therefore it is strongly recommended that you contact the relevant interstate authority for requirements on keeping of wildlife.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Each item of wildlife covered by the application must:

  • have been lawfully obtained and kept
  • be able to be lawfully moved to or from the other State or Territory
  • not pose a risk to health or safety of people or livestock, or harm the conservation of protected wildlife
  • not adversely affect the population in the wild if it is exported.

You must also ensure that no person involved in your import or export operations is disqualified or suspended from holding a licence, permit or authority under the wildlife legislation.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

It is a condition of this permit that upon completion of the transaction, you provide, in writing, details of the wildlife received or consigned. This must be lodged with the Wildlife and Game Licensing Service within seven working days of the completion of the transaction.

Any wildlife, once imported, must be kept at the premises specified in the wildlife licence or permit under which it is kept in Victoria. In the case of wildlife being exported, it must remain at the premises specified in the wildlife licence or permit under which it is kept in Victoria until its export interstate is approved and you have received the export permit.


One month or at the end of the consignment, whichever occurs first


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.

Act(s) name

Wildlife Act 1975 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Regulations 2013 Victoria

Lodgement process


Lodge your application form and any associated documents directly with the agency.

Approval time

Allow at least five working days.

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action

Plants and Animals

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.