You may require a Working with Children (WWC) Check if you intend to work or volunteer in a place where there is interaction with children.
The Working with Children Check is a criminal check for people who have regular and / or direct contact with children under the age of eighteen which may not be directly supervised by another person. The assessment is compulsory for employment in certain occupations in Victoria.
Employers, volunteer organisations and agencies must ensure that any of their staff or volunteers who need a WWC Check have it completed.
The Working with Children Check is designed to complement good recruitment, selection (including reference checking), supervision and training practices for staff and volunteers who work with children. It involves an identity check, national police records check and a check of records from prescribed professional disciplinary bodies such as teaching institutions.
Operations that will require you to apply for a WWC Check include:
- child protection services, fostering, youth justice and community services
- educational institutions and all kinds of child care services
- counselling and other support services for children
- transport services specifically for children
- refuges or other residential facilities used by children
- religious organisations, clubs, associations or movements
- commercial babysitting, nannying or child-minding services
- camps, sports and recreation facilities, child gyms and play facilities
- school crossing services
- entertainment or party services
- photography services
- talent or beauty competitions.
Applications may be made as an individual or on behalf of an organisation that will receive the information for employment, voluntary work and occupation-related licensing or registration purposes.
Generally, information about you as an individual and your criminal history cannot be released by Victoria Police to an organisation without your written consent, and strict guidelines apply to the release of criminal history information to any individual or organisations.
To apply, complete the Application for a Working with Children Check Victoria online form.
Other forms and related documents are available on the Working with Children Check Unit Victoria website.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.