Liquor Licensing Exemptions - Victoria


A business is required to hold a liquor licence if it sells alcohol to its customers or guests. However, certain types of businesses are exempt from this requirement, provided that certain conditions are met.

These exemptions may apply to the following types of businesses:

  • bed and breakfast businesses
  • florists
  • gift-makers
  • hairdressers
  • butchers
  • hospitals
  • residential care services
  • retirement villages
  • cruise ships.

Conditions vary for each type of business. For example, the operator of a bed and breakfast may supply only 750mL of alcohol per day per room occupied. A butcher may only supply 1.5 litres of alcohol to a customer in a day.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type

Advisory Material

Advisory material provides advice and guidance in undertaking a business.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Regulation

Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Licensing Officer

Operating address: 49 Elizabeth Street
Victoria 3121
Mailing address: GPO BOX 1988
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Phone: 1300 182 457
Fax: 03 9651 3777
Website: Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (Opens in new window)