Approval of Developments in or near the Swan and Canning Rivers - Western Australia


You require this approval before any development or construction can begin within the Swan and Canning River Development Control Area. Development includes:

  • the erection, construction, demolition, alteration or carrying out of any building, excavation, or other works in, on, over, or under land or waters
  • a material change in the use of land or waters
  • any other act or activity in relation to land or waters declared by the regulations to constitute development.

Please note that some smaller activities (for example erecting a sign) do not require development approval and instead can be covered by a separate permit application.

The Development Control Area includes the waters of the Swan and Canning rivers and adjoining parks and recreation reservations. It extends upstream from the Fremantle Traffic Bridge to Moondyne Brook on the Avon River, to the Lower Diversion Dam on the Helena River, along Southern River to the Allen Road crossing and along the Canning River to its confluence with Stinton Creek.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the approval.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Making an Application (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Swan and Canning Rivers Management Act 2006 WA

Regulation(s) name

Swan and Canning Rivers Management Regulations 2007 WA

Approval time

Approval may take up to 6 months. This length may be longer if the development is significant and requires public consultation.

Administering agency

Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Parks and Wildlife Service

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Rivers and Estuaries Division

Parks and Wildlife Service

Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Operating address: Technology Park, Western Precinct
17 Dick Perry Avenue
Kensington, Western Australia 6151
Mailing address: LOCKED BAG 104
Bentley DC, Western Australia 6983
Phone: 08 9219 9000