Approval to Build Over or in the Vicinity of Water Service Infrastructure - Western Australia


You will need this approval if you intend to develop, alter, or remove an obstruction near water services licensee's infrastructure. This approval also applies if you intend to drill, bore, excavate or use impact equipment with close proximity to water service infrastructure. Close proximity is determined by the Water Services Licensee who owns the infrastructure in accordance with the regulations.

Types of obstructions include:

  • electrical, telecommunications and similar cables
  • gas mains
  • power poles and other poles and towers
  • drains
  • ground anchors
  • material stockpiles
  • roads and airstrips.

Small trees up to five metres in height and fences and similar structures that can easily be removed are not included as obstructions.

The relevant water services licensee may be the WA Water Corporation, your local council or a private corporation.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please contact the agency to identify any eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the agency for more information.


Act(s) name

Water Services Act 2012 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Water Services Regulations 2013 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Water and Environmental Regulation


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.