** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Approval to Erect, Construct or Exhibit a Commercial Advertising Sign on or in the Vicinity of a Road or Highway - Western Australia


You will need this approval if you intend to erect, construct or exhibit a hoarding or other commercial advertising structure, including a sign, on or in the vicinity of a highway, main road or part of a road that is not a:

  • for sale or for lease sign that is no greater than 1 square metre in area
  • sign affixed to a building on premises indicating the name, or the name and the business of the occupier of the premises that does not exceed 0.4 square metres in area
  • sign that is erected on a place between the boundary of a road and the building line of premises that indicates the name, or the name and the business of the occupier of the premises that does not exceed 0.2 square metres in area
  • sign inside a building on your premises (unless the sign is internally or externally lit by artificial light and is primarily directed at persons travelling in vehicles).

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please contact the agency to identify any eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Company, Co-operative, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Act(s) name

Main Roads Act 1930 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Main Roads (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 1996 Western Australia

Application process


To obtain this approval you must:

  • obtain any relevant approvals from the relevant local council
  • submit the relevant form along with any other information requested by the Agency.

Approval time

Approximately 10 to 15 working days. However, the Agency can make special arrangements for urgent applications.

Administering agency

Main Roads Western Australia

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.