Approval to Keep a Large Animal - City of Armadale - Western Australia


You may need this approval if you intend to keep a horse, cow or other large animal on your property, including a sheep, cow, alpaca, deer, camel, llama, emu, ostrich, kangaroo, ass, donkey, pony or ox.

Whether this approval is required may vary according to the zoning and size of your property. Approval is usually required in land zoned as residential. Keeping large animals may be prohibited in certain areas.

As a condition of approval, you may need to construct a stable to house the large animal. This stable may also need to be approved and registered with the council.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this approval you must:

  • submit required supporting documentation (such as site plans, and plans for management of manure)
  • possess adequately sized land (in the case of a horse or cow, land must be at least 1 hectare)
  • be willing to comply with any conditions placed upon your approval.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Until 30 June, unless cancelled.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $208.50

Fees for keeping farm animals. Fees for 2022-23


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply Company, Co-operative, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Farm Animals - Fact Sheet - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Health (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1911 Western Australia

Local law(s) name

Environment, Animals and Nuisance Local Laws 2002

Administering agency

City of Armadale

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.