** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Approval to Survey Submerged Lands for Petroleum - Western Australia


You will need this approval if you intend to conduct underwater surveys of submerged lands for petroleum. An underwater survey is a geochemical, geological or geophysical survey of submerged land, the data from which is intended for use in the exploration, discovery or recovery of petroleum. Petroleum is any naturally occurring hydrocarbon or mixture of hydrocarbons, including oil and gas.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this approval you will need to be an instrument holder, which include:

  • title holders
  • infrastructure licensees
  • pipeline licensees
  • registered holders of special prospecting authorities
  • registered holders of access authorities
  • persons specified in instrument of consents.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the agency for more information.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply Company, Co-operative, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Petroleum and Geothermal Explorer's Guide - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Petroleum (Submerged Lands) Act 1982 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Petroleum (Submerged Lands) (Resource Management and Administration) Regulations 2015 Western Australia

Approval time

Lodge your application at least 30 days before you intend to begin your survey.

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.