You may need to comply with one of these standards if you intend to apply for an exemption from survey requirements for a Class 2E or Class 3E commercial vessel.
To be eligible for an exemption from survey requirements, your vessel must be equipped with a fire extinguisher which complies with the requirements set out in one of the following standards:
- Australian Standard AS 1843-1976 Foam (chemical) type Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Australian Standard AS 1844-1985 Portable Fire Extinguishers - Foam (gas container) type
- Australian Standard AS 1845-1985 Portable Fire Extinguishers - Foam (stored pressure) type
- Australian Standard AS 1846-1985 Portable Fire Extinguishers - Powder type
- Australian Standard AS 1847-1985 Portable Fire Extinguishers - Carbon dioxide type
- Australian Standard AS 1848-1985 Portable Fire Extinguishers - Halon type
These standards specify requirements for the manufacture, design and use of fire extinguishers.