You may be required to comply with one of these Standards if you intend to apply for an exemption from survey requirements for a Class 2E or Class 3E commercial vessel.
To be eligible for an exemption from survey requirements, your vessel must be equipped with a fire extinguisher which complies with the requirements set out in one of the following standards:
- Australian Standard AS 1843-2976 Foam (chemical) type Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Australian Standard AS 1844-1985 Portable Fire Extinguishers - Foam (gas container) type
- Australian Standard AS 1845-1985 Portable Fire Extinguishers - Foam (stored pressure) type
- Australian Standard AS 1846-1985 Portable Fire Extinguishers - Powder type
- Australian Standard AS 1847-1985 Portable Fire Extinguishers - Carbon dioxide type
- Australian Standard AS 1848 Portable Fire Extinguishers - Halon type
These standards specify requirements for the manufacture, design and use of fire extinguishers.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.