Authorisation of a Non-University Institution - Western Australia


You will need to be authorised if you intend to operate a non-university institution that provides higher education courses. A non-university institution is authorised to provide a higher education course if either:

  • a self-accrediting authorisation is in force for the institution and the course is accredited under this authorisation
  • a provider's authorisation is in force for the institution and the course has received ministerial accreditation.

A non-university institution may be granted a self-accrediting authorisation or a provider's authorisation by applying to the Minister.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please contact the agency to identify any eligibility requirements.


Five years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will change depending on your circumstances. Please contact the agency for more information.


Act(s) name

Higher Education Act 2004 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Higher Education Regulations 2005 Western Australia

Additional information

Prospective providers will need to contact the agency at least six months before submitting an application to advise of an intention to apply for registration and to clarify application evidence requirements.

Administering agency

Department of Education

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Enquiries, Department of Education Services

Department of Education

Western Australia
Operating address: Level 9
20 Walters Drive
Osborne Park, Western Australia 6017
Phone: 08 9441 1900