You may need to be authorised if you intend to conduct activities within a port operated by a port authority.
The types of activities that need authorisation include:
- social functions on board a vessel
- leaving waste
- discharging waste or ballast
- put up notices or signs
- interfering with port equipment
- entering with an animal
- loading and unloading livestock
- selling or supplying items
- launching vessels in an unauthorised place
- entering unauthorised areas.
There are five port authorities:
- Fremantle Port Authority (Port of Fremantle)
- Kimberley Ports Authority (ports of Broome, Wyndham, Derby and Yampi Sound)
- Mid West Ports Authority (Port of Geraldton)
- Pilbara Ports Authority (ports of Ashburton, Dampier, Port Hedland and Varanus Island)
- Southern Ports Authority (ports of Albany, Bunbury and Esperance).