To be eligible for this certificate of competency, you must:
- be of good character
- hold a prescribed qualification
- have made underground surveys of a nature and under supervision satisfactory to the agency for at least 12 months in the case of grade 2 certificates or 24 months in the case of grade 1 certificates
- have successfully undertaken a one hour oral exam set by the agency.
Prescribed qualifications include:
- the degree or diploma in mine surveying technology from Curtin University Western Australian School of Mines
- the 3 year diploma of mine surveying from the Department of Technical and Further Education (TAFE)
- surveying qualifications from any School of Mines, University, Institute of Technology or Technical College deemed by the agency to be equivalent to a qualification referred to above.
Your surveying qualifications need to include:
- at least two mining units and one geology unit for a grade 1 certificate
- at least one mining unit for a grade 2 certificate.