Building Contractor Registration - Western Australia


You will need this registration if you intend to:

  • contract with clients to provide building services that meet the definition of builder work
  • be named as a builder on a building permit
  • use a prescribed title, such as registered building contractor.

Builder work is building work that:

  • needs a building permit
  • is valued at $20,000 or more
  • is to be carried out in a designated area of the state.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for registration you must:

  • not be an ineligible person or body of which an ineligible person is an officer
  • be a registered building practitioner (individual applicants only)
  • have sufficient financial capacity to meet your debts
  • have arrangements in place to ensure that builder work to be carried out will be managed and supervised in a proficient manner.

If you intend to apply as a partnership or company, you will need to appoint at least one registered building practitioner as a nominated supervisor.

If you are registered or licensed as a building contractor in another state or territory or in New Zealand, you may be eligible for mutual recognition.


3 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Company, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply Company, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Building and Energy Fee Schedule - Building Services and Plumbing (Opens in new window)
Comply Sole Trader Mutual Recognition (Opens in new window)
Comply Company, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Registered Building Contractor (Individual, Partnership or Company) Application Guidelines (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Building Services (Registration) Act 2011 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Building Services (Registration) Regulations 2011 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Building and Energy

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.