Building Practitioner Registration - Western Australia


You will need this registration if you intend to:

  • be the nominated supervisor for a building services contractor
  • use a prescribed title, such as registered building practitioner
  • be employed by or subcontract to a registered building contractor person or company to carry out builder work.

Builder work is building work that:

  • needs a building permit
  • is valued at $20,000 or more
  • is to be carried out in a designated area of the state.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for registration you must:

  • be a fit and proper person
  • have the qualifications and experience needed for your set
  • hold a current National Police Certificate.

There are five sets of building practitioner registration. Each set has unique requirements, please see the application forms for more information.

If you are registered or licensed as a building practitioner in another state or territory or in New Zealand, you may be eligible for mutual recognition.


Three years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Sole Trader

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply Sole Trader Building Practitioner Registration (Opens in new window)
Comply Sole Trader Documenting Your Experience and Qualifications - Builders (Opens in new window)
Comply Company, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Mutual Recognition (Opens in new window)
Comply Company, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Building and Energy Fee Schedule - Building Services and Plumbing - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Building Services (Registration) Act 2011 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Building Services (Registration) Regulations 2011 Western Australia

Approval time

Most applications are determined with 14 weeks.

Administering agency

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Building and Energy

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Licensing Services

Building and Energy

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Western Australia
Operating address: Mason Bird Building
Level 1
303 Sevenoaks Street
Cannington, Western Australia 6107
Mailing address: LOCKED BAG 100
East Perth, Western Australia 6892
Phone: 1300 489 099
Fax: 08 6251 1501
Website: Building and Energy (Opens in new window)