Building Surveyor Contractor Registration - Western Australia


You will need this registration if you intend to:

  • contract with clients to provide building surveying services
  • issue compliance certificates
  • use a prescribed title, such as registered building surveying contractor.

Building surveyors undertake the examination of existing and planned buildings and incidental structures to assess their:

  • safety
  • accessibility
  • energy efficiency.

There are two levels of registration. Level 1 allows you to contract to undertake all building surveying services. Level 2 is limited to certifying compliance of either:

  • Class 1 or Class 10 buildings or incidental structures
  • Class 2 to 9 buildings with a maximum floor area of 2000 square metres and not more than three storeys high.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for registration you must:

  • not be an ineligible person or body of which an ineligible person is an officer
  • be a registered building practitioner (individual applicants only)
  • have sufficient financial capacity to meet your debts
  • have a professional indemnity insurance
  • have arrangements in place to ensure that building surveying services to be carried out will be managed and supervised in a proficient manner.

If you intend to apply as a partnership or company, you must appoint at least one registered building practitioner as your nominated supervisor.


3 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Company, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply Company, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Building and Energy Fee Schedule - Building Services and Plumbing (Opens in new window)
Comply Sole Trader Mutual Recognition (Opens in new window)
General Company, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Building Surveying Contractor Registration (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Building Services (Registration) Act 2011 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Building Services (Registration) Regulations 2011 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Building and Energy

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.