Bulk Controlled Waste Driver Licence - Western Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to drive a vehicle that transports a bulk controlled waste on a road in Western Australia. Bulk controlled waste is a controlled waste that is transported in a tank. Controlled waste is waste produced by:

  • an industrial or commercial activity
  • a medical, nursing, dental, veterinary, pharmaceutical or other related activity
  • activities carried out on or at a laboratory
  • an apparatus for the treatment of sewage.

Controlled waste includes asbestos, clinical or related waste, tyres and food processing waste.

If you intend to operate a business that transports bulk controlled waste or packaged controlled waste, you will also need a controlled waste carrier licence.

The owner of tanks transporting bulk controlled waste will need to apply for a separate controlled waste licence for each vehicle and / or tank used to transport controlled waste.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • hold an applicable vehicle driver's licence
  • complete a controlled waste driver training course and examination
  • satisfy the Agency that you have the adequate technical competence to drive a vehicle transporting a bulk controlled waste.


1, 3 or 5 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Licence All -

Licence fees:

  • 1 year - $225.00
  • 3 years - $555.00
  • 5 years - $885.00

Fees for 2023-24

Renew Renewal All -

Renewal fees:

  • 1 year - $60.00
  • 3 years - $180.00
  • 5 years - $300.00

Fees for 2023-24

Vary Variation All $105.00

Fees for 2023-24


Other resources

Act(s) name

Environmental Protection Act 1986 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Environmental Protection (Controlled Waste) Regulations 2004 Western Australia

Lodgement process


You must lodge your application with two passport-sized photos and a copy of the front and back of your driver's licence.

Approval time

30 days

Administering agency

Department of Water and Environmental Regulation

Environmental Regulation

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.