Controlled Waste Carrier Licence - Western Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to transport bulk controlled waste and or packaged controlled waste on a road in Western Australia. Bulk controlled waste is a controlled waste that is transported in a tank. Packaged controlled waste is a controlled waste transported in a container. Controlled waste is all waste produced by:

  • an industrial or commercial activity
  • a medical, nursing, dental, veterinary, pharmaceutical or other related activity
  • activities carried out on or at a laboratory
  • an apparatus for the treatment of sewage.

Controlled waste includes sewage, chemicals, asbestos, tyres and food processing waste.

Individual drivers transporting bulk controlled waste will need to apply for a driver's licence. The owner of tanks transporting bulk controlled waste must apply for a separate controlled waste licence for each tank.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • provide a copy of your certificate of incorporation or a copy of your certificate of registration of business name if applying as a company
  • provide details of your spill management plan
  • attach a confirmation letter from the proposed disposal site that they are capable of accepting the controlled waste of the category you are transporting.


One, three or five years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Licence All -

Licence fees:

  • 1 year - $225.00
  • 3 years - $555.00
  • 5 years - $885.00

Fees for 2023-24

Renew Renewal All -

Renew fees:

  • 1 year - $165.00
  • 3 years - $495.00
  • 5 years - $825.00

Fees for 2023-24

Transfer Transfer All $105.00

Fees for 2023-24

Vary Variation All $105.00

Fees for 2023-24

Act(s) name

Environmental Protection Act 1986 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Environmental Protection (Controlled Waste) Regulations 2004 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Water and Environmental Regulation

Environmental Regulation

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.