Dangerous Goods Vehicle Licence - Western Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to use a road tank vehicle if the tank has a capacity of over 500 litres. Road tank vehicles are vehicles where a tank forms part or to which a tank, other than a portable tank, is attached. Dangerous goods include gases, liquids and other substances that are flammable, explosive, toxic or radioactive.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be the registered owner of the vehicle
  • be an approved emergency responder or have engaged one
  • hold a current motor vehicle licence
  • hold a minimum public liability insurance policy of five million dollars to transport a placard load of dangerous goods.
  • ensure the vehicle and its operation complies with the current edition of Australian Dangerous Goods Code.

Further security requirements apply if you intend to transport security risk substances such as ammonium nitrate.


5 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $855.00

Dangerous Goods Vehicle Licence. Fees for 2023-24

Apply Renewal All $855.00

Dangerous Goods Vehicle Licence. Fees for 2023-24


Other resources

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety (Road and Rail Transport of Non-explosives) Regulations 2007 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Resources Safety

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.