You will need this registration if you intend to own a dog, or keep a dog on your premises. It is illegal to keep an unregistered dog. However, the following dogs are exempt from registration:
- dog under three months of age
- dog held by a prescribed body such as the Dogs Refuge Home or Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Inc.) of Western Australia
- dog held by a surgeon in the course of his or her professional practice
- dog held by the Police Force
- pack of ten or more foxhounds that are used exclusively for the purpose of hunting and are registered as a pack
- dog held in a registered kennel that has paid the concessional fee for the registration of dogs.
Dogs may be registered as being either sterilised or unsterilised.
If you intend to keep more than the maximum permitted number of dogs on your premises, you will also require a kennel establishment licence.