Driver Licence - WA - Western Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to drive a motor vehicle on a public road. It is illegal to drive on a public road in Western Australia without a current driver's licence. Overseas licence holders, who hold a permanent visa, are only able to drive for up to three months using their overseas driver's licence.

To obtain your first driver's licence you must get a learner's permit. You will need to complete the minimum number of supervised driving hours, and pass a driving test before you can move from a learner's permit to a driver's licence.

Your licence will be issued as a provisional licence if you are a novice driver or are under 18 years old. You will be considered a novice driver unless you have held a driver licence for at least two years.

Your licence will authorise you to drive particular classes of vehicle. Licences are available in the following classes:

  • moped
  • motorcycle
  • car
  • light rigid
  • medium rigid
  • heavy rigid
  • heavy combination
  • multi-combination.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Eligibility requirements vary depending on licence class.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.

Act(s) name

Road Traffic (Authorisation to Drive) Act 2008 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Road Traffic (Authorisation to Drive) Regulations 2014 Western Australia

Approval time


Administering agency

Department of Transport

Transport Services

Driver and Vehicle Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.