Electrical Contractor's Licence - Western Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to carry on a business as an electrician and undertake electrical work. Electrical work includes conducting electrical installing work and electrical fitting work. You may nominate employees under your licence to enable them to carry on electrical work under your supervision.

This licence can be issued to a sole-trader, a firm (partnership) or a body corporate (a company or other incorporated entity). The licence cannot be issued to a trust.

You will not need this licence if you are an employee of an electrical contractor. If you are an in-house electrician or an employer of an in-house electrician please see the in-house electrical installing work licence.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence as an individual you must:

  • have the qualifications, training and experience to satisfactorily perform the duties of a qualified electrician
  • commit to ongoing educational and safety training
  • agree to comply with all state and commonwealth guidelines, codes of practice and legislative requirements
  • hold insurance with a reputable insurer.

A firm or body corporate must have one person in its company that meets the above criteria for an individual and the Agency must be satisfied that person fully understands the duties and regulations assigned to them.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



As specified on the licence.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees are listed on the attached document.

Act(s) name

Electricity Act 1945 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Building and Energy

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Electrical and Gas Licensing Enquiries

Building and Energy

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Operating address: Mason Bird Building
Level 1
303 Sevenoaks Street
Cannington, Western Australia 6107
Mailing address: LOCKED BAG 100
East Perth, Western Australia 6892
Phone: 08 6251 2000
Email: energylicensing@dmirs.wa.gov.au
Website: Building and Energy (Opens in new window)