** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Exploration Licence - Western Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to explore for and take samples of minerals in coastal waters. Western Australia's coastal waters extend three nautical miles out from the coastal baseline.

This licence will authorise you to explore for and take samples of minerals within a specified licence area. A mineral is a naturally occurring substance or mix of substances, such as sand, gravel, clay, limestone, rock, evaporites, shale, oil-shale or coal.

Your exploration licence will specify the area (graticular blocks) you are authorised to explore. You may apply for this licence over a group of up to 500 blocks. The application process depends on what type of blocks you intend to explore:

  • Standard blocks - are vacant and have no permit or licence is currently in force over them.
  • Tender blocks - are subject to a tender block licence notice published by the agency.

To obtain a licence in respect of tender blocks, you must successfully pass a competitive tender process.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • ensure you and your employees who will likely be involved in your intended activities hold relevant technical qualifications
  • have sufficient technical advice and financial resources.


Four years unless surrendered, cancelled or renewed.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
General Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Act(s) name

Offshore Minerals Act 2003 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Offshore Minerals Regulations 2010 Western Australia

Application process


If your application is successful, you will be provisionally granted a licence. To accept the licence, you will need to provide the agency with a written acceptance of the grant.

Lodgement process


You will need to advertise your application in a newspaper circulating throughout the Western Australia within 14 days of making your application.

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Minerals and Mining

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.