Explosives Transport Licence - Western Australia


You will need this licence if you operate as a prime contractor and you intend to transport explosives by road, rail or water. A prime contractor is a person who is responsible for conducting a business involving the transport of explosives.

You may not need this licence if you solely intend to transport certain explosives including:

  • emergency devices
  • cartridges for safety devices or nail guns
  • ammunition, ammunition propellant and black powder
  • model rocket motors.

You will not need this licence if your transport activities are authorised by a shotfiring, fireworks, or explosives manufacture (MPU) licence, or if you hold an equivalent licence to transport explosives issued in another State or Territory of Australia.

There is no limit on the number of vehicles that may be included under your licence and specific details of individual vehicles are not required.

The Agency recommends the use of an accredited dangerous goods consultant to prepare and submit your application.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

If you are applying as an individual, to be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be 21 years of age or over
  • hold a current Western Australian Dangerous Goods Security Card (DGSC)
  • demonstrate the conduct of a business that involves the transport of explosives
  • have developed and can apply an Explosives Management Plan, including a security plan
  • ensure that your vehicle and its operation comply with the current Australian Dangerous Goods Code and vehicle laws.

If you are applying as a body corporate or partnership you must meet the above requirements as well as providing:

  • evidence of one individual who is concerned in the management of, or employed by the body or partnership, holds a current Western Australian DGSC or mutually recognised security clearance, and is responsible for the safety and security of the explosives covered by the licence
  • evidence of the existence of the body corporate or a partnership, including statutory declarations from all partners.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



5 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $950.00 Annual

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Resources Safety

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Dangerous Goods Licensing

Resources Safety

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Phone: 08 6251 2300
Email: cso@dmirs.wa.gov.au
Website: Dangerous Goods (Opens in new window)