To be eligible for this certificate you must:
- be at least 25 years old
- be a person of good character
- hold a bachelor of engineering in mining from an Australian university or have attained an equivalent qualification
- pass a separate examination on mining law set by the agency
- have at least 5 years of practical experience in a mine with at least 3 years of general underground mining experience acceptable to the agency
- have received satisfactory training in first aid.
The exact practical experience you need to obtain this certificate will vary depending on whether you intend to manage an underground coal mine, or another type of mine.