Forest Produce Licence or Permit - Western Australia


You will need a licence or a permit if you intend to take forest produce from Crown land.

A permit provides you with the exclusive right to take and remove forest produce from a defined portion of Crown land and can only be issued if there is a management plan in force for that land. A permit may include a right to:

  • occupy land as the site of a sawmill or of other buildings (e.g. a timber depot) and for any other purpose
  • operate a plant or other facilities for converting, treating or processing forest produce
  • make roads and construct and work tramways.

A licence provides you with the non-exclusive right to take and remove specified forest produce from Crown land. You will need a separate licence to chop down trees or remove sandalwood.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please contact the agency to identify any eligibility requirements.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

As a licence or permit holder, you will need to pay forest produce charges for all forest produce taken. If you hold a permit to occupy land to be used as a sawmill, you will need to pay annual rent for that land.


Licences may be issued for up to 15 years with the possibility of extension by a further 5 years. Permits may be issued for up to 10 years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All Please contact the agency for more information.


Act(s) name

Conservation and Land Management Act 1984 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Forest Management Regulations 1993 Western Australia

Administering agency

Forest Products Commission

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.